Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that’s triggered by an exposure to one or more traumatic event, either experiencing or witnessing it. Most people who go through traumatic events have difficulty adjusting and coping for a while, but with time and good self-care, they usually get better.
For some, this leads to PTSD where the symptoms get worse or last for months or even years and interfere with their normal functioning.
They may feel stressed or frightened even when they’re no longer in danger
Symptoms of PTSD
Symptoms of PTSD may include
- flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety
- Being easily startled, feeling tense or “on edge”
- Having difficulty sleeping.
- Feeling emotionally numb
- Feeling strong guilt, depression, or worry
- Having trouble remembering the traumatic event.
- Staying away from places, events, or objects that are reminders of their experience
Treatment FOR PTSD
Psychotherapy is considered the “gold standard” of treatment for PTSD.
At Psynaptica, our psychologist use a combination of approaches tailored to the need of the client including such as trauma-focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitisation Therapy (EMDR), and Cognitive Processing Therapy